Saturday, November 26, 2005

What are we trying to fix?

While involved in all this work to develop curriculum for teaching creative industry type students how to run businesses and be more enterprising, I keep asking myself: 'what are we trying to fix here? ' now I might be doing myself out of a job here, but with 42% of graduates from this sector having some level of self-employment in the first 5 years, and realise this is much higher than other sectors, then well, isn't something going right? Now don't get me wrong there are people who do need more advice, support, who maybe lack confidence, role models, finance or self-esteem. But surely the question should not be what can we teach the creative industries but what can they teach other sectors? I have some ideas about this relating to the nature and style of teaching on arts courses and will try to get my thoughts together about this for a future posting....

No comments: